For many people, taking care of themselves is near the bottom of an ever-expanding to-do list. We're too busy. Or we feel guilty about doing things just for ourselves. But there's nothing selfish about investing in your health and well-being. In fact, it's critical to take care of your own health and wellness needs.
Here are 10 simple ways you can do to practice self-care:
- Get a massage. Go on, relax, get those knots worked out. Let the stress fade away.
- Make a commitment to stay hydrated. When you're not hydrated, it can be hard on your body, and you can feel worn out. How much water should you try to drink each day? Some experts recommend eight 8-ounce glasses per day, which equals about 2 liters, or half a gallon. This is called the 8×8 rule and it's easy to remember. The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine recommends about 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids for men and about 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women. How much water do you drink each day? If you're like most people it's probably not enough!
- Take stretching breaks. Give yourself time every day to stretch out muscles and joints and keep things flexible.
- Go for a walk or commit to another exercise routine, such as yoga or tai chi. Fitness can be good for your mind and body. Walking several times a week can have a substantial and positive effect on your overall health.
- Take vacations, even if they're mini-vacations. Don't overlook time off as an important way to feel better and stay healthy. Allowing yourself a break from the everyday hustle and bustle can help you rejuvenate.
- Sit in a nice warm bath and just soak away your worries.
- Tell yourself nice things in the mirror. This is a great way to help reverse negative thinking.
- Spend some time with friends. Studies confirm that maintaining strong social ties — especially as you age — is vital to staying not only happy, but healthy.
- Get enough sleep. Easier said than done, right? Yet a better night's sleep may be more attainable than you might think. That's because simple steps, such as creating a bedtime ritual, turning electronics off an hour before bedtime, taking a soothing bath and reading or meditating can all help you to fall asleep and to sleep better. Nature's Sunshine Herbal Sleep can help, too, by calming nerves and promoting restful sleep.
- Eat a healthy diet. Perhaps one of the best ways to take care of yourself is by providing your body with the fuel it needs to thirve. Add in quality supplements from Nature's Sunshine to fill in any dietary gaps.